Sunday, March 7, 2010

Divine Patience

Luke 13:1-9

Researching this scripture I remembered reading the Book "The Prayer of Jabez." I recall it was very moving for me as I kept thinking I had to help others and put others before my own needs to be a good Christian. This little book helped me to realize that I must also pray for myself. I don't think the author intended it to be a way to promote the "prosperity Gospel," but one can see how that would be easily upheld by the idea if you ask God to expand your Kingdom, God will. Which is what the book teaches, and I would agree that God does answer all prayers and if you ask for prosperity you may receive an answer that is more a challenge.

This brings up the question of theodicy, which is the question why good things happen to bad people and vice versa, knowing God is omnipotent and good? Well it is clear here in this passage that Jesus does not want this question to be unclear as he answers it directly both times with these rhetorical questions. Jesus asks if these people suffered did they sin greater than others, and he clearly answers, "No, I'll tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish just as they did." There is nothing left to the imagination, Jesus clearly states that suffering is not related to one's sin, but if one does not repent (no matter the "size" of one's sin) you will not be in a relationship with the Divine; death.

So after answering these rhetorical questions Jesus tells the parable of the fig tree. Which makes me think of my time as a pastry chef on the island of Manhattan, where I would be training interns and would be asked, "how long do I bake this for?" and I would answer (and still do today) "Until it is done." This would annoy them some, but it was important to be in tune with not just a timer, but how something, looked, felt, and smelled to tell if it was done. And for me the parable is telling us that Jesus, as the gardener, will want to fertilize us and give us time. Therefore each of us will know when it is time for us to be baptized, go deeper in our relationship, go to seminary, and especially to have repented to begin with. We know Jesus wants us all to turn to Him, and he will be patient and encourage growth. The hard news like the gardener, Jesus does not give us all the time in the world. As you know you should "seize the day" and that starts with repentance, for you cannot simply leave a baked good in the oven forever, you need to get it out.


 

No comments: