Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Holy Mystery

Acts 2: 1-21

Pentecost/Baptisms

I walked out to the floor after reading the scripture with a classic paper airplane. I then shared how I learned how to fold that design when I was perhaps just 6 years old in my uncle's house in Gig Harbor, Washington. I do not even remember which older cousin taught me the folds but I remembered what I had to do, to fly the plane. Often it flew upside down as it did when I threw it. For generations and for that matter millenniums, humans did not understand flight, but appreciated it when they saw the bird. Just as I appreciated the throwing of my first airplane, I did not understand why it flew but I enjoyed it.

See we emphasize knowledge so much but I tell you if someone told me they knew everything about God, I would tell you they are missing something. If one told me they knew everything about church tradition and history, I would tell you they are missing something. If they told me they knew everything about the Bible right down to the Hebrew and the Greek, I would tell you they are missing something. If they told me they knew how God was working in their lives and what God has plans for them I would certainly tell you they are missing something.

When the Spirit blew through that room of Galileans and drew everyone to see what happened it was beyond comprehension. Some simply enjoyed the experience and opened themselves to hear the word of God and others mocked. When Peter got up to explain this event he started with Joel, which was a great place to begin. However, what was more important was the experience itself and how it led others to believe following Jesus as the way to the One God. It was an unbelievable experience that could not be explained in human terms. All of the sudden these 11 Galileans could share the Gospel in any native tongue, thus foreshadowing the fulfillment of the great commission. Sending the Gospel around the globe as everyone is able to be saved.

Well the two boys who were baptized today will need to continue to learn about God. And it will be our responsibility as church to continue their education. From learning about the Bible, to church tradition and history, from how it is we explain God, for instance as the Trinity, to how God is working in their lives, will be important for each of us to nurture them in greater understanding. Yet today I tell you that they can share and teach each of us about the part that is missing for most of us adults. That is understanding the Holy Mystery. See we tell children that God is so big God is everywhere and yet small enough God is in our hearts, and they are fine with that. We speak of a God that judges and yet loves and forgives all, and they are fine with that. We speak of One God with three personas the Trinity and while they may say "huh" they are generally fine with that, for they understand God is beyond understanding. They understand that one must have faith in God. One must be able to be fine with the Holy Mystery that is God and work with Faith. The Holy Spirit is that quiet breeze that directs us when we have faith, when we are fine with the Holy Mystery.

I then took out a red paper airplane that is shaped more like a tube and said I have no idea how this flies, but I have faith it does and threw it. (well two times it flew ok and then flew very well).


 

AMEN


 

No comments: