Sunday, February 27, 2011

Don’t Worry, Strive…

Matthew 6:24-34

Jesus knew that there were famines and droughts from the history recorded in the Old Testament, not to mention His own experience.  Thus Jesus knew that there are times when there is not enough food for birds, or enough water for lilies to bloom.  It is clear that Jesus is not saying we should not set our alarms for the next day’s work, or not to plan for retirement.  Rather Jesus is telling us not to worry, and specifically in relationship with His statement of serving two masters.  If one chooses to serve wealth the worry will be inevitable, but if  you serve God you will not need to worry. 

This metaphor Jesus uses of the the birds of the air and the lilies of the field, speak to us about following Jesus in three ways.  The first being of ecology, that is how the earth operates.  Clearly God created a world where the animals and plants depend on each other to survive, therefore they actually depend on God.  Even in Jesus’ day people were beginning to be separated from the natural world, and today we are even more separated from the reality of how God’s creation is good and provides for itself.  We should see in this metaphor that we need to appreciate the wonderful miracle of this world as we work for the Kingdom of Heaven.

The second way this metaphor speaks to us it that of equality.  It relates to the first, in that we are to see the interconnectedness of humanity as we observe in nature.  For we know there are some people that do not know where their next meal is coming from and Jesus knew that also, as he included in a parable:

And about five o’clock he went out and found others standing around; and he said to them, “Why are you standing here idle all day?” They said to him, “Because no one has hired us.” He said to them, “You also go into the vineyard.” (Matthew 20: 6-7)

This is a reality for people throughout history and continues today.  They don’t even have the luxury of the same type of worry people with wealth would worry, they simply live as lilies and birds, dependent on God’s Grace.  Those of us with some time, wealth, and ability become the Body of Christ for these people that live not knowing what tomorrow’s troubles is as they need to met today’s. 

The third aspect is the greatest and that is of celebration.  That if we do follow God (not wealth) we are to be taken care of just as the beautiful flowers and birds.  I generally start my sermon preparation on Tuesday, but because of a funeral on Wednesday, I had to prepare for, I did not start until after the funeral was complete and some other important work was done.  Late in the afternoon, I had the idea I would go home and rest, but realized I was going to be in a meeting all day on Thursday (it was on my calendar but it was not on my mind).  I then got another cup of coffee (thank God for “dancing goats”).  Read the scripture two times when two friends arrived at my door.  I could feel the anxiety mounting as I considered sending these two away, who obviously wanted to talk and ask questions.  I then glanced down at my open bible and saw verse 34 whish was  highlighted from a previous time: 

‘So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

I then thought, I should be here now with these friends.  I then asked them to help with the sermon.  I told them that there were still some flowers in the sanctuary from the funeral, and if they could go and observe them and tell me about them.  They ran to see the flowers and ran back to tell me something about the arrangements.  I should probably tell you that these two friends were young children.  “They smell good,” “I like the purple one" etc.  Then flowers and pieces were taken to my desk for decorations.  I then realized that children do not worry about tomorrow.  They may ask what is for dinner or what is next, but I have observed they often ask again for they forget.  Then the scripture that was part of the service earlier that day was put on my heart by the Holy Spirit. 

Then little children were being brought to him in order that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples spoke sternly to those who brought them; but Jesus said, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs.’And he laid his hands on them and went on his way. (Matthew 19:13-15)

Jesus tells us to be like children to inherit the Kingdom.  Children appreciate the wonderful nature that is Creation.  Children love and do not worry about tomorrow.  Children celebrate when they know love.  Paul says it well in Philippians 4:4-7:

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Let us go out in the world serving only Christ.  Not worrying but striving for God’s Kingdom, like the children who made a beautiful arrangement on my desk with broken flowers and pedals. 

 

 

Special note to Hare, Douglas in “Matthew” edition of Interpretation.  John Knox Press 1993

No comments: