Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Focal Point

Luke 10:38-42

Fred Craddock, our most famous homiletic professor and preacher of the Disciples, writes in a commentary, that "If we were to ask Jesus which example applies to us, the Samaritan (the pericope prior) or Mary, his answer would probably be Yes." (152) Last week I explored the pericope of the lawyer asking what he needed to do to inherit eternal life, we discovered he knew the answer, and Jesus real answer was to go and do it. Today's text we find a distracted and busy Martha, and Jesus' command is to sit, listen, and learn. There is no coincidence that these stories are put together by Luke, as Craddock suggests both apply to us all.

In this story about Mary and Martha, I know that I have identified with both at different times. Mary is sitting at Jesus' feet, which is a term for being a disciple of a teacher. This in itself is shocking for most teachers of that day would not have women disciples; however, we know Jesus came to change the world. Mary is learning and focusing on what is important. Martha is going about all the important tasks of being a welcoming host. Martha then complains to Jesus, that Mary is not helping with the work. Jesus tells her she is worried and distracted and Mary had chosen the better part. I enjoy being a host. I may not enjoy the preparatory cleaning and the cleaning afterwards, but I love the chores of being a good host. Now I have had seminarian professors at gatherings, but they were not there to teach, but Martha had Jesus teaching and Mary sat to listen intently. I am someone that can multi-task and if I was doing the tasks Martha was with Jesus teaching, I believe I would be able to keep up on most of the teachings, but if I got upset about and worried about someone else and what I believed were their responsibilities, I know I would miss everything about the fellowship, especially the teachings. When Martha was fed up with Mary's behavior, she went directly to the teacher. Jesus did not say the work of hospitality is of no importance, and we know that at least one time when no one picked up the towel to wash feet (a very normal act of hospitality); Jesus washed His disciples' feet. It was also a lesson, but I believe it demonstrates that Jesus did not ignore the traditions of hospitality and believe them to be unimportant. It is her worry and distraction that bothers me.

Upon further prayer and reading, I was drawn to Paul's statement in Romans 8:38-39, "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." When you hear this you realize that Paul does not name evil and hateful things, rather most would be interpreted as positive (angels, life, height) or ambiguous. Paul makes it clear that there is nothing that can keep us from the love of God. However, when looked at with today's scripture it seems also important to not simply have faith, but to focus on the Love of Jesus. The little tasks that Martha was occupied with, was not really what distracted and worried her, rather her jealousy and desired control of her sister was, as she was missing the lesson. Perhaps she needed to sit and listen, but perhaps she could have continued to be the great host while still keeping focused on the Love of God.

I debated sharing this illustration, but prayerfully did, and had great feedback, so I am glad I listened to prayer. If you do not already know, I love to ride a motorcycle. I have many reasons that I love to ride and today I am going to share with you how to turn a motorcycle. If you drive a car you know that turning a car needs someone to simply turn the steering wheel. On a motorcycle it is necessary to do these things, some of which should happen in a car as well. When you approach the turn you must slow prior to entering the turn, as you should never brake during a turn (this is true with cars but I know not everyone does that, as a car is more forgiving). Then when you need to turn you push the respective handle bar the direction you want to go, you do not turn the handlebars. This creates a natural lean in the direction you need to go, and you then look where you need to go and roll on the throttle as you go through the turn. The important part is to look where you need to go and trust your tyres. If you focus on the oncoming car you will end up hitting it, if you focus on the ditch you will end up in it, if you focus on where you want to go your whole body will naturally lean the bike in that direction. (Yes you have to have faith in your tyres, but that's another sermon). While life cannot separate us from the Love of God, we must be focused on Jesus, or we are liable to be worried and distracted, and miss the turn. The turn to God we must all do to inherit eternal life.


 


 


 


 


 


 

Craddock, Fred. Interpretation: Luke. John Knox Press. 1990.

No comments: