Thursday, July 8, 2010

God’s Realm

2 Kings 5:1-14

July 4, 1994, I was in the car with my half-brother and his two elementary age boys. It was a great day, and we had the windows rolled down as we drove along. There was then the sound of a firecracker (perhaps an M-80) for it was quite loud. My nephews yelled in delight, as I dove for cover under the dash. See I was being picked up from the airport from having been living in Belfast, Northern Ireland. If you are not aware, Northern Ireland is a "Police State," in that the military and police are essentially the same and people walled into distinct neighborhoods. I do not want to blame the army or police officers, for the "troubles," as it is a conflict between the two groups has been going on for a long time. The recent resurgence of conflict started in the sixties, directly fueled by the civil rights movements in the United States of America. Quickly the unrest turned to rioting and violence to an extreme that London sent the Army to keep the peace. The Irish welcomed such a force as the police force was 99% protestant and were not sympathetic. The women welcomed the soldiers with tea and biscuits as it meant the Ulstermen (Loyalists) would not be able to riot in their neighborhoods. Quickly this welcome died as the Irish felt even more oppressed with the army at the police's side. I do want to make it clear that the violence the paramilitary extremes both the IRA and Loyalists, is the worst and heinous cause of the continued troubles and thus the reaction of Britain to continue running Northern Ireland as a police state with minimal representation from its people of either camp. There has been much progress over the last ten years, such as disbanding the Royal Ulster Constabulary and replacing it with great reform with the Police Service of Northern Ireland in 2001. I bring up my experience not to debate the "troubles," but to share what it is like to live in a city that fits the definition of a "police state." I must say I generally felt safer in Belfast than in New York, I can tell I was effected greatly by the experience, as per my reaction to a celebratory firecracker.

I have many stories and observations from living in such a state. I called a real estate agent for a flat I was interested in renting, he told me he would show me at 3 PM. I went a little early to the address and started noticing other individuals and couples loitering in the vicinity. It was obvious to me that the agent was going to show us the rental all at once, and when he arrived shortly after 3, we all went up to look at the apartment. I quickly determined it was not the flat for me, so I exited soon after, to discover a constable outside. Well actually four, because they never traveled in groups smaller than four. They all had flak jackets on, and were holding automatic rifles. You may think I am just paranoid, but I know that every street has cameras, and not cameras like we have that record specific crimes like at ATM and stop lights, but cameras to watch. Thus I do not think it was a coincidence that an armored truck came to see why so many people were gathering on a street corner, especially a group not interacting just simply waiting. Of course we did nothing wrong, but it was obvious someone was concerned.

I did finally find a great flat with two roommates. It was not far from the Queen's University. It was a row house, with a small front yard with a low wall and gate. The doorway was across from the gate and was in a large archway. Well one night I did notice a few soldiers patrolling my street, but that seemed normal (that in itself puts one on edge). I looked down to open the gate and go through with my bag, when I heard someone in front of me ask in a strong tone, "Where are you going?" Looking up there was a soldier at my front door hidden in the archway. "To my flat," I responded. I was then let by after showing my identification and searching my bag.

Another day I was walking to the University, I observed a man make a U-turn. It was illegal, however, I would say it was a good place to make one, as it was not busy and one could see well in both directions. The driver was very careful and was looking carefully up and down the street, thus not observing the armored police vehicle at the next corner. The constables could see the U-turn and the lights went on to pull them over. The driver pulled over and one officer walked up to the driver's window with his citation book open. It was a normal traffic violation stop; except that it was on the wrong side of the street and that there were three other officers. One was in front of the car with his rifle raised at the driver, another was a few feet behind the officer making out the ticket with his rifle raised, and the last was on the other side of the car with his rifle at the ready. Now there are many times I wish our officers could have that type of force when they are pulling someone over, as we have some deranged and evil people out there. However, as Americans we uphold liberty. Our officers are not there to coerce and intimidate people to follow the law, rather they are there to protect and serve us free citizens. After a couple of months living in Belfast, I would find myself making sure my hands were visible if I was crossing the street toward a soldier or constable. What is scary was I did not think about it, I would do it naturally.

See in America we know exactly what it is like to be policed in such a manner. Well not with cameras, armored vehicles, or machine guns, but the mentality was the same in 1768 when British troops were sent to Boston to enforce the Townshend Acts. Eventually the tension came to bloodshed on March 5, 1770, when a mob started harassing Private Hugh White and eventually he was joined by 7 or 8 soldiers of the 29th Regiment of Foot. Captain Thomas Preston finally went out as well to try to calm the 3-4 Hundred who were yelling and throwing snowballs. Eventually a local tavern keeper knocked down Private Hugh Montgomery with a club, and as he got to his feet yelled out "Damn you, fire!" And thus the Boston Massacre goes down in history, with three dead instantly, two more who would die from their wounds and eleven injured. The crown responded by pulling the troops out of the city, temporarily. The rest is history, we wanted liberty.

In today's scripture, Naaman is in need of healing. As per the Hebrew Scripture Naaman was given victory over Israel by the Lord and that is an important theme through the scripture, that God doesn't simply follow the national borders. Naaman was a commander of the army and quite successful, but needed healing from his leprosy. It was the slave girl that was kidnapped from Israel that knew how Naaman could achieve God's healing. As a commander, he went to his king and asked to go for such a healing via the prophet in Samaria. The King of Aram sent him with many gifts and a letter to the King of Israel that requested "…that you may cure him of his leprosy." The letter did not mention Elisha, and thus the King of Israel was insulted that this foreign leader would request such a healing from him. When Elisha heard of this letter and his king's response he sent word that Naaman should be sent to him. So Naaman went to Elisha's home, but Elisha did not come out to greet him, rather he sent a messenger out to tell him how God can heal. It is clear that Elisha was not the one that heals. Naaman apparently already had an idea how the healing would go and was very upset even enraged that Elisha would not come out and heal him. Naaman even responded with very "nationalistic" rhetoric, as he stated that the rivers of Damascus were better than any water of Israel. Elisha did not state it had to be Jordon, but it was the water that was right there, the river that was the border of the Promised Land. It was his own servants that reminded him he would have been willing to do something much harder to be healed. These humble servants and the slave girl knew things that the leaders did not know. These leaders and especially Naaman were blessed that the slave girl and the servants were bold enough to speak up. This is exactly the type of liberty God wants for all people. So they will know God has all the power across all boarders, and that we choose Jesus with our Liberty.

On July 4th we celebrate our Liberty from the British and the Liberty we uphold in many other situations. We started with liberty for white land-owning men and we keep responding with Liberty when we see a challenge. When I ducked down in the car on July 4, 1994, many of you would not have understood that fear, until April 19 the following year, when the Alfred Murrah Federal Building was attacked. And of course the whole country felt this fear after the attacks of September 11, 2001. Yet today we do not live in a police state and there had been numerous attacks prior and continue to be attacks both foreign and domestic. We uphold liberty. We had instituted practical security measures, and some people are critical of some of the measures, but we are encouraged via our Liberty to be critical.

So many of you understand the fear I felt when I heard that firecracker, however I know a friend who knows these fear even greater. This friend was a refugee from Liberia, a country our nation established meaning Liberty. Our church in Connecticut brought him, his wife, and son to the USA from the refugee camps in that war torn country. This is the worst type of police state, in that the government is based solely on what army controls. We put them up in the church's apartment, helped them find jobs and training, and enjoyed becoming their friends and family. They knew that we celebrate Independence Day, however, we did not think to truly explain the festivities. Well after dusk we got a phone call from the apartment. Another friend was on the line trying to explain that they should go outside. However, they were yelling that they were under attack and were hiding under the bed. Finally, we convinced them to turn on the TV and they could see how we celebrate with fireworks. It was very sad that they were so scared. Yet when I talked with my friend from Liberia a week later, he was even able to laugh about it, for he understands even greater than most of us Americans what it is to celebrate Liberty. I had been knocked to my knees by a bomb in Belfast once, but I had an American Passport in my pocket (I was not harmed, just shook and scarred), but to hear what it means to be an American from a humble Liberian reminds me how God wants us all to be free across the World no matter what bodies of water we enjoy. God wants Liberty.

No comments: