Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Three Loves

Luke 10:25-37

A lawyer stood up to and asked a question of Jesus. The lawyers referred to in the Bible are not like lawyers we know, as there is no distinction between civil and religious laws; therefore he is an expert on the laws of God as per the Torah. Just as in today's age there are multiple interpretations of Jewish Law. I can name several Jewish sects that existed during Jesus' ministry, such as Pharisees, Sadducees, Essences, Herodians, and Zealots and each group needed experts. This lawyer decides to test Jesus. But it is not clear if he is testing him to say what the lawyer believes is the right answer, or to reveal the Father to him as per verse 22. We will not know for Jesus turns the question back on the lawyer. What do you read in the law, as you are the expert? And the lawyer answers with the Shema which would make perfect sense. Deuteronomy 6:4-7 "Hear, O Israel: The Lord is our God, the Lord alone. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might. Keep these words that I am commanding you today in your heart. Recite them to your children and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you rise." It is clear that this is a very important part of the law, as it should be taught to the children and recited everywhere. This is not a surprising answer in the least, but the lawyer does add a command from Leviticus 19:18 "You shall not take vengeance of bear a grudge against any of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord." Jesus agrees with this expert's answer of the three loves, Loving God, yourself and your neighbor. And Jesus commands, "…do this, and you will live."

Now I believe the lawyer has moved from testing Jesus once Jesus agreed with his assessment. Now the law expert has a problem, he does not completely understand his own answer, thus he asks who his neighbor is.

This reminds me of when I learned to sale at the Longshore Sailing School in Westport, Connecticut. I was about 12 years of age and loved going to the school, as we learned in a classroom and on Long Island Sound in small two person sailboats. See I was very proud of the two yellow t-shirts I won. I received those two shirts because I aced the two written exams. Now there were also blue t-shirts awarded to the two best sailors on the water. I was a very good sailor, as well, but I certainly knew all the little details well enough to answer them on paper. After our exams the next day we would get our results and have an all day free sail. Upon receiving my second yellow jersey in the morning and changing into the new shirt to start the day's sailing. The instructor reminded me that my usual partner was not able to attend the day before and therefore would need to stay ashore to take his exam. The instructor said, "You aced your exam, you can go out alone." I never felt frightened sailing until that moment. I was scared to put my knowledge to the test. The boats we were learning on were designed for a two person crew, in that the jib lines cannot reach the tiller. I pushed off; scared about putting my book smarts to work. Within a few minutes I realized I knew exactly how to sail this boat alone. I left the jib down except for a time when I was running. I was fine, until the instructor told me to head to the dock to pick up my partner. He was nowhere to be seen, so I thought I would dock the boat and go get him. Well I made three passes at the dock and realized that I would not be able to get close enough to the dock and be able to let go the tiller and tie the boat as it was choppy. Well I decided I had to do one of two things. Go back out and get another boat to dock and help, or run my boat ashore. I was about to decide when I saw my partner running across the beach with his orange life vest. I then docked and picked up my mate. I learned that day how important it was to go do want you know.

Jesus then tells the parable of the Good Samaritan to ask the lawyer who the neighbor was to the man left for dead on the side of the road. The lawyer answers correctly, "The one who showed him mercy." Jesus I believe knew that the expert would answer correctly, for whom else could be considered the neighbor. The fact the expert questioned who his neighbor is, demonstrates he was not satisfied with a definition that did not challenge. He certainly knew that the Torah continually tells of God's command to take care of the poor, oppressed, the immigrants, and marginalized. I do not think the expert was shocked at Jesus' telling of the parable; rather he was frightened of what it meant to receive eternal life. To go and live out such a love of God, yourself, and neighbor. "Go and do likewise."

No comments: